Drumstick is one of those rare plant species whose seeds, flowers, leaves, and stems are edible and extremely nutritious. Moringa commonly referred to as drumstick is treated as a ‘super plant’ for its unique yet powerful properties that combat different ailments in our system.
Drum stick or horseradish tree is a tall slender plant grown for it greens, flowers and nutritious pods. It is a very commonly used vegetable in Indian household. The leaves are the most nutritious part of the plant. They are cooked and used like spinach. Drum stick leaves are dried and crushed into powder used in soups and sauces. The immature seed pods or drum sticks are added in sambar or kurma.
Drumsticks has a number of health benefits which are listed below:
• Healthy immune and nervous system: Drumsticks contain powerful antioxidants which help in keeping your immune system and nervous system healthy. It protects you from cold, cough and fever.
• Makes your bones strong: Drumstick contains iron, calcium and a high amount of vitamin that help your bones remain strong. It is also known for protecting against osteoporosis if consumed on a regular basis.
• Treats digestive problems: Drumsticks are really good for your digestive system as it helps in treating digestion problems. If consumed by mixing it with coconut water and honey twice a day it has more health benefits. • Helps prevent Cancer: As it is rich in antioxidants Drumsticks also help in preventing cancer.
• Good for vision: Drumsticks are really good for your eyes as they help in removing harmful toxins from your retina making you see clearly. • Anti-bacterial properties: Common problems during change of season include various infections of chest, throat, skin etc. With its anti-bacterial properties, it removes all impurities from your body and keeps you healthy.
• Kind to your skin: Consuming drumstick juice with lemon helps in treating many kinds of skin problems like blackheads, pimples etc.
• Source of Vitamin C: Vitamin C is one of the undeniable nutrition we need and consuming drumsticks could provide us with a dose of it.
• Regulates blood pressure: Consuming paste of drumstick leaves is very helpful for regulating blood pressure.
• Good for women health : Consuming this vegetable helps women during pregnancy and regulates menstrual cycle and eases cramps.
• Effective for weight loss : Since it can be consumed as a soup, juice or just with lentils it keeps you full and for anyone on a weight-loss journey drumstick is a powerful food that helps them achieve their goal. So let us start consuming this vegetable with so many benefits.